Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 4!

97% Humidity and Carbon Dioxide Overload

Well, well, well, this week started off very intense to say the least...Ok so I am sure you are starting to gather by now things here DONT get easier, and actually some senior teachers even admitted to us that this training is designed to continue to be extraordinarily difficult thru the entire 9 weeks, its all part of the "process".

So, Monday night's class with Bikram was intense (as always) but there seemed to be a lot less air in the "chamber" that night and many yogi's were down for the count, lots of throwing up, muscle cramps, crying, you know, the usual, but Bikram was not happy about this display going into week 4 and he let us know it, after telling us how lazy we were and how much he hated lazy people and some other encouraging words that I will leave to your imagination (and anyone who knows him can surely fill in the gaps) he made us all sit down before Camel so he could yell at us real good for at least 10 minutes before he got so updset that he took his mic off and walked out of the room commanding us to leave, class was over. Pure Silence. But what Bikram says goes, so I got up, rolled up my mat and headed on my way (truthfully, I couldnt wait to exit the torture chamber that night, I was craving AIR, speaking of craving, oh I will have to talk about those later). So as we filed into lecture with him that night, the mood was very somber. We were strictly instructed to not speak or move. It felt like we were 5 and in serious BIG trouble. When Bikram entered the first words out of his mouth were "what, is it someone's funeral?" "you guys think I am in a bad mood or something? I am not in a bad mood". We all sat there in pure curiousity as to what he was going to tell us next, especailly since we found out that Bikram has NEVER walked out of a class before. Anyways, he began to explain that something was not right with the room. He had a very strong feeling that something really had to be wrong, because there was no way we all should be struggling so much still. He recognized that we were all here because of our love for the this yoga and that we wanted nothing more than to try our hardest (especially for him) and do our best while in class. So being that this studio is the first he ever built in a basement, after speaking with other teachers, he called the engineer who built it and demanded he board a plane immediately and check the conditions of the room. So basically the research proved us not to be weak asses at all. As a matter of fact, the humidity in the room was reading 97%!!! Holy Hell! The humidity is usally 50% in a normal Bikram Yoga Class and for those of you who have done or do Bikram yoga know that at 50% you feel like you cant breath as is at times. The carbon dioxide levels are also very high due to the fact we are low in the basement and there is no fresh air. So with the combonation of breathing carbon dioxide and wet air, you can only imagine why the last 3 weeks have literally kicked our asses! Bikram really started to question things when triathletes were being sent home (out of training) due to being in the medical clinic too much and not being able to get health enough to practise. Sooo, there are now something like 15 fans that were installed all over the walls. Its helpful but the fresh air problem is still a present. It feels better but definitily not like home at all. We sat with two visiting teachers for lunch today and they said they couldnt belive how hot the room was, they said they never had to take a knee or lay down at all at their training and they admitted to spending most of the class on the their backs last night. Its intense. Bikram has said now more than once that he will never again build a studio in a basement, I cant say that I am happy to be the test tube on this one though. I think you got the point, ya? I have to say though, I feel pretty tough, I have been powering thru each and every class feeling pretty damn strong. Its been hard as hell, dont get me wrong when I say I feel strong but every single day I question how I am going to make it thru 2 of these damn classes but somehow I do and I feel like I get that much more strength to take with me when I leave.

Posture clinics have had their highs and lows for me this week, the "perfectionist" in me could say a lot more about this but as I learned, it is all just an excuse to make mistakes anyways and what purpose does that serve anyways? I am working thru some old baggage that I have been carrying around with me for many years and I am finally getting to the point in my life that I am ready to get rid of it for good! But truly I know that what I am going thru is exactly what I am meant to go thru, it is my path to my next destination. I am confident that one sort thru their shit before they find their true gem. Its hard to shine thru shit. ;)

The president of Mexico is here at the hotel this week, so thats exciting. Kinda.

There is warnings of Hurricane Odile approaching the pacific coast but even though the hotel is taking precautionary measures, it looks like Odile has taken a turn and should not hit landfall. However, we will most likely get a pretty nasty storm starting tonight. The only downfall to this news is that my girls and I had a whole beach day planned with one of the locals who is in training with us, his buddies and some other surfers here who were eager to get wet. I dont know if I mentioned this before but we have been advised to stay out of the ocean due to all the rain, apparently the run off here in Acapulco is far from pleasant and the sharks seem to be in full force having a good ol' time. So pretty bummed,I was really looking forward to a kickass beach day filled with tanning, surfing, fish tacos, a dj rocking some sweet tunes and of course DIALOGUE! :)

The evening lectures have been a bit tortuous in themselves to be quite honest, they are very long and pretty painful (my sciatica is not my friend during these nights especaially), physically and mentally. Just imagine working your ass off all day, and then having to go into a nightly lecture that starts at 9 pm and usually goes into the wee morning. Bikram has some great wisdom to share and truthfully I wish I had more energy to engage in the words he speaks but after a couple of hours of him lecturing, I am usually doing everything in my power to just keep my damn eyes from closing. Oh and even better, the Bollywood movies we have had the luxury of watching ;( Have you ever seen one? They are quite the experience. These movies NEVER end! I swear to god, these films are insane, the one we are in the middle of watching is 17 hours in total length! We have only watched something like 8 or so hours of it so far, if that, sooo... oh man just the thought makes me sick to my stomach. Subject change, quick...On a more positive note, you have no idea how good my bed feels at the end of the day though, oh, so good.

I think that wraps up all the excitement on this end. I recieved lots of love from you guys this week- THANK YOU!!! You made my week!;) You know who you are and I appreicate you so much!! I really appreicate you in my life and all of your love and support.

I send my love to you all and miss you all very much!

xoxoox

Namaste~
Sash

Sunday Update:

Just got back to the hotel after the most amazing day on the beach with the local boy here, his buddies and a crew of yogi's. Spent the day laying on the beach, listening to reggae, laying in hammocks, studying dialogue, eating fresh fish tacos, watching surfers and having some really good conversations....oh my heart is so HAPPY! I needed that so much! xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep your mind rested and your body needs some R & R too, so take care of yourself down there, sis.
We miss you....Love from all the nieces and nephews...XOXOXOXO
Kali